Sunday 26 June 2011

“My Journey So Far at FORE” – By Sudhir Mishra (PGDM-IB Wave 4; Batch of 2010-12)



We undertake several journeys in the course of our lifetime. However, very few of them leave an indelible impression on the fertile grounds of our mind and soul. Whenever, we look back at them, we get filled with nostalgic emotions and our eyes become moist. Last one and a half year of my association with FORE has been one such sojourn.

I still clearly remember my first day at FORE when I had come here to collect my prospectus for admission in their coveted PGDM programme. Being an inquisitive person I am, I had many queries in my mind and I was not sure of where to find answers to them. But that one visit to FORE was so enlightening that I can call it as one of the most defining moments in my life. By the time I left the FORE Campus, I was absolutely convinced in my mind that in case I do manage to get a call from them, I am going to join this Institution. So, what happened during that one day visit, which left me with such a strong desire to join FORE? Let me share about it with you in few lines.

Having so many queries, I entered the campus and was greeted by a broad smile at the reception desk. That proved to be an instant medicine, soothing my nerves no end. A very small gesture, but one that made me feels desired. I became quite comfortable and then began a series of discussions on various aspects. Some of the queries were answered by them, some by the academic office and some by the faculty. I also got an opportunity to interact with few of the senior students of FORE. These interactions, with different stakeholders, left me in a sense of disbelief. How could all of them be so generous and kind to a person who, till that point of time had not even formally applied to the college? This was an eye-opener for me and also the beginning of a huge learning curve as I got a glimpse into the deeply entrenched culture and philosophy of this great Institution. They taught me biggest management mantra in the very first visit itself,” Greet every individual as a prospect for you, leaving him with a feeling to come back wanting for more.” Herein began my management journey.

I worked hard and fortunately was able to secure myself a place in their long list of illustrious students. The day I got my offer letter, I felt as if the world has come into my grasp. One of the prime reasons for this kind of overjoyed elation lay in the thought of finally getting to learn management from an Institution, which had each of its actions and activities guided by various management philosophies. And I wanted to imbibe them in my work ethics and culture.

Past one year that I have been in FORE has exceeded all my expectations. It has not only contributed immensely to the enhancement of my knowledge base but also made me to unlearn and learn to see things differently, to see things in perspective. The faculties have been a tremendous guiding light, showing the way each time I felt helpless; and so have been my peers. I feel honored to be a part of such elite people. All of them have a significant share in my evolution as a management learner in this one year.

Now I have begun my journey into the final year of my PGDM course. We have been exposed to various practical aspects of corporate functionalities and the governance, best practices to be followed, issues that affect an organization, and lot more through an eclectic mix of case studies, brain storming and industry interactions apart from regular class room teaching. I am looking forward to build on all of this in my second year.

This will also be the year of my securing placements. I know and I am sure that I will get placed in a company and profile of my liking, because of the renowned brand FORE is.

Such has been the learning in the time I have spent at FORE that I feel supremely confident, though with all humbleness as that is how we have been taught, to take on the world with our brand of management.


Sudhir Mishra is a B.Com graduate with 168 months of work experience at National Council for Cooperative Training (Under Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India). Currently he is pursuing PGDM-IB at FORE School of Management, New Delhi. He did his summer internship at Nirmal Bang Commodities & Securities Pvt. Ltd. (Finance - Marketing)

No comments:

Post a Comment