Sunday 26 June 2011

“A Blend of Fun-filled Student Life Coupled with a Corporate Like Culture at FORE” – By Aseem Goyal (Batch 2010 - 12)



Having joining letters from McKinsey and Deloitte in one hand and final admission call letter from FORE on the other, it was a tough call for me to choose the next step when I had completed my graduation last year. On one side, there was an urge to enter the corporate world and start earning while on the other hand, there was an opportunity to go through a 2-year rigorously organized transition in order to prepare myself to enter the business world in a better way. I chose the latter one, but with certain inhibitions.

After spending one year here, FORE has lived up to my expectations. Now, I know that the most calculated decision of my life was rightly taken. A blend of fun-filled student life coupled with a corporate like culture, FORE has made me understand how the two can go hand in hand. A wholesome package of courses imparting the basic orientation in every business domain with lectures, corporate sessions, seminars, workshops, industry visits, projects, presentations and many more things, keeping one busy all the time. Yet the fun never takes a back seat in the close-knit student community at FORE.

If I were to name one thing that I have learned here, it would be how to apply the things you know in real world situations. To help us in learning this, each and every business management concept was taught to us by putting it into actual practice with the help of various important case studies and other applications. Being familiar with the subjects of business management doesn’t give us a license to jump into business world. We need to know how to apply that knowledge into practice. This became more evident at my first corporate assignment when I went for my summer internship at Power Grid Corporation India Ltd. The project I undertook involved incorporating variability in domestic borrowing instruments of the company to reduce its financing costs. I was also involved in raising of Rs 2000 crore debt for the company through their bond issue. It means a lot when the company entrusts you with such important assignments mainly on the basis of institute’s credentials and the precedent set by FORE alumni having worked there previously. And it feels even better when you live to their expectations. All thanks to the learning imparted during the one year by well-qualified and experienced faculty at FORE, I was able to do the things right. Also, my college professors were there to help me at every step, wherever I faced any problem.

It feels great to be back to the student life for second trance of learning. This year will involve some more focused learning as I have chosen my subject combinations in a way that I get a chance to have an in-depth understanding of my interest area. Also, I am expecting to get a good opportunity to work in my desired business domain as FORE Career Division has been providing ample opportunities in the past also with the help of its effective corporate interface.

On the basis of my experience here till now, I think FORE has been able to deliver in a very effective way all the things I had expected of a high-quality post graduate program in business management. I am sure that my 2-years here will always be cherished by me in future with a great deal of enthusiasm, and the things I have learned here will always come in handy in the real business situations of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment