Sunday 26 June 2011

FORE Connect: Anushree Vij (Batch 2010 - 12)


Prior to joining FORE School of Management, New Delhi, I was working as a software test engineer in banking domain. My path was moving towards the role of a business analyst or a project lead.  Although my job provided me with enough opportunities to contribute to the organization in technical aspects, I realized the importance of the management aspects of working in an organization.  I decided to take up management studies.

While choosing the institutes send applications to, FORE came up a winner. It has experienced faculty, good infrastructure, appropriate location and a nice ambience. The fact that FORE has been creating managers from past 19 years reinforced my belief in this institution. I knew it would provide the right platform for me to achieve my goals.

After joining FORE, life became very different. Three trimesters gave us a comprehensive understanding of the corporate world. By studying the foundation and core courses, which involved areas such as Marketing, Finance, Operations, Information Technology, Business Communication, Economics and Human Resource etc., I got to understand the basics of every course and the management aspects attached with each one of them. Presentations, projects, role plays, group assignments and discussions gave us insights into the practical aspects of the theoretical knowledge acquired in each domain. Surprise quizzes and assignments kept us on our toes: very essential for managers today.  Another aspect at FORE was working in groups with people of different backgrounds, religions, attitudes; managing the dynamics of such an environment to accomplish the  given project/assignment built leadership qualities and team skills of the students.

Many cultural and extracurricular activities took place: the Entrepreneurship Week, Blood Donation Camp, Green Initiative, Cultural Festival etc. These activities provided us opportunities to build and showcase our talent outside the academics world, giving us a more holistic development opportunity.

India is a fast growing nation. To continue growing at the present pace, the country requires many new entrepreneurs.  Identifying this need of the nation, FORE focuses constantly on entrepreneurship development. Following events over the past year strengthens my belief that FORE will produce some of the brightest entrepreneurs in the near future. First, the Centre for Entrepreneurship Division (CED) of the college throughout the first year arranged seminars and lectures with illustrious entrepreneurs of the country. These seminars inspired students towards pursuing something of their own.

Second, a special course Innovation and Entrepreneurship Development (IED) was added to help students make effective Business Plans. The whole exercise was a huge success. I now have a thought deep down in my heart. The day I identify my passion, I will muster the courage to pursue something of my own. This conviction that FORE has planted in the minds of so many students is a great thing.

I worked in the IT sector for approximately 3 years. FORE gave me a new perspective of looking at a job. When I again entered the corporate world through the two month long summer internship, my outlook had totally changed. The way I approached my work was remarkably different. Now my approach was to understand the impact of my work on the organization as a whole. I was inclined to understand and analyze the industry, the sector, the company and what difference my work would make to all of these. Now in spite of just working, my objective became, ‘what else can be done? How will it impact the business environment, various stakeholders? How can I improve any aspect of it?’ Even while going through newspapers, magazines and TV ads I analyze the article or any advertisement in terms of what is the idea behind it, what a business organization is up to and how audience is responding to it. All this is because of the teaching methodology and interest created by the faculty in all the courses.

In terms of placement, here in FORE, we are motivated to follow our dreams and find an appropriate job according to our interests and experience. All the students have an attitude to look for the desired profile and not only the remuneration offered.  Last year many good companies came with diverse roles and offered competitive package. This time the expectation is higher. I think with the reputation and brand image of FORE, many good companies will be coming and offering varied profiles. I expect I will get the profile I desire.

Back to academics: I am really excited about the electives I have taken. We had a wide range of electives catering to different needs. These electives widen the knowledge base making each one comfortable to work in the specific area or field chosen. This time, there was an option of choosing a foreign language. I think it is a wonderful opportunity to get an edge in the global business world.  FORE facilitates the students by giving various international certifications such as CFA, Six Sigma, SAS and ERP etc. during relevant course lectures. 

FORE has been a good learning platform in the past one year. It has completely changed my outlook towards a job, environment, the business world… in fact, towards life as a whole. Another year is ahead and I expect to gather domain expertise in the areas I have chosen. I think this whole two year course will equip me with all the pre-requisites required for being an efficient and effective manager in the corporate world. I strongly believe after this course, I will be capable of stepping back in the industry with all the desired skills and will contribute significantly to this dynamic business world.

No comments:

Post a Comment