Monday 27 June 2011

FORE: expectations and deliveries - Shanta Mohanty (Batch 2010 - 12)

Shanta Mohanty, an MBA student from Assam had high expectations when he joined FORE. Only he did not know they were not high enough… His learning, while being exciting, was practical and he found himself applying all that he learnt during his internship.



Expectations before joining FORE
Before joining FORE I always wanted to go to a place where there would be a strong academic push. Also I wanted I wanted to join a place which has a legacy of producing good and innovative managers. One thing which I sought most was the quality of my peers in college. Geeks are nice, but I find them single minded and with the study blinkers on. Instead, I wanted to be in the vibrant company of young people with diverse interests. Like me.

What have I learnt from FORE:
The best thing about FORE for me is the sense of timeliness and punctuality. It is something which would stay with me forever. I value the freedom of developing ideas which the college facilitates.


What I look forward for in the next one year:
I would really like to see our batch sent great placement records. When I say great placements, it is in terms of pay packages and profiles of jobs and the companies that come on campus to recruit. This is partly due to the fact that FORE has recently been rated by CRISIL as an institute on par with many others that seem oh-so-better than ours. I expect corporate houses to take note of this fact and come here for better profiles in finance.
Another thing that I do look forward to is acquiring good knowledge of my elective subjects and I would like to participate in any live projects that FORE facilitates.


Expectations after FORE:
In the short term I would like a good job with a great profile and decent salary.
My long term plans include starting a venture of my own. I would prefer being an agricultural entrepreneur or a manufacturer in and around my native – Assam.


About Summer Internship:
I interned with Pitney Bowes. The punctuality I learnt at FORE stood me to good stead. I learnt to value other’s time as much as I value my own. Surprisingly, I found that I was more particular about meeting my targets than my mentor was about me meeting them. For this, I have to thank FORE training, where I gained subject knowledge and found the freedom to think out of the box. Both these aspects contributed in bettering my performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment